Tuesday, January 15, 2008

39 going on 9


Okay, so I admit it. Somewhere deep within my grizzled, jaded, thirty-nine year-old self is still a nine year old Star Wars Freak. In the late 1970s being called a "Star Wars Freak" ( as was the custom of the time - said in a Gran'pa Simpsons voice with an onion on your belt! ) meant you loved Star Wars. Lived Star Wars. Considered yourself an expert even. I spent a great deal of my childhood drawing Star Wars ( and later Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers and others ) related scenes. Even now and again outright copying them! So Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the novel pictured above ( in a ball point pen version by nine year old me ), the first official Star Wars book sequel, was an understandable target of my blue-capped Bic.
I grew out of my Star Wars obsession in the early 80s ( Return of the Jedi had a lot to do with it! ) and I moved on to other things. Luckily though, a number of Kid Glen space movie drawings have survived the last thirty years - the latest batch of which you can find over at Flickr.
You have been warned.

No comments: